Thank you for your interest in learning more about the homeless. Below are recent statistics and links to current studies on homelessness in Iowa and throughout the country.
Iowa Institute for Community Alliances Annual Report
In July 2010, the Iowa Institute for Community Alliances, released its 2009 annual report in July 2010 which detailed the state of homelessness in Iowa. According to the report, a total of 23,808 homeless men, women and children sought shelter at one of the state’s shelters from January through December 2009. This number climbed 38.7% in one year. Of these people, more than 14,000 were families.
The report also indicated that another 15,351 individuals are at-risk of becoming homeless in 2010.
To read the full report, click here to be taken to the Iowa Institute for Community Alliances’ annual report on their Web site.
2010 Polk County Point in Time
The Iowa Institute for Community Alliances also provides a detailed look at homelessness in Polk County through their Polk County Point in Time Homeless Count, prepared for the Polk County Housing Continuum. This report totals the number of homeless who received support services, lived on the streets, sought emergency shelter or transitional housing at one “point in time,” in this case, January 27, 2010.
According to the report, the total count of Des Moines homeless was 1,087. Of these, 64% were unaccompanied individuals, while the remaining 36% were families.
To read the full report, click here.
AGRM Snapshot Survey
Each year the Association of Gospel Rescue Missions completes a snapshot survey of homelessness throughout the U.S. In 2009, the AGRM released its 20th annual survey which revealed record numbers of people in need. To read more about that report, click here.