Thank you for your interest in learning more about the state of homelessness in Iowa. Below is a collection of recent statistics and links to studies.
Iowa Institute for Community Alliances
Point in Time Report: For the past several summers, the Iowa Institute for Community Alliances has released a summer "point in time" report to capture current trends in homelessness in Polk County. According to the 2013 Point in Time Report:
- There were a total of 595 households (including both those with children and those without) in emergency and transitional shelters. 339 of those were in emergency shelter and 256 in transitional housing.
- There were a total of 427 people ine mergency shelter and 416 in transitional shelter--totaling 843 people currently being served by homeless shelters in Polk County.
- Of those in emergency shelters:
- 79 are facing chronic substance abuse
- 46 are veterans
- 79 are victims of domestic violence
- Of those in transitional shelters:
- 142 are facing chronic substance abuse
- 68 are veterans
- 104 are victims of domestic violence
To download and read the full July 31, 2013 Point in Time Report, click here.
2012 Annual Report: Each year the Iowa Institute releases a report describing trends and services related to homelessness. Data for the report is drawn from the Statewide Homeless Management Information System. According to the 2012 report:
- 16,238 Iowans were homeless in 2012
- 19,786 Iowans were at risk of homelessness
- 33,969 people in total were served by homeless organizations
- In Polk County specifically, 5,137 were homeless (down 3.6% from 2011) and 2,193 were at-risk
To download and read the Iowa Institute's full 2012 Annual Report, click here.
According to Feeding America, 12.9% of Iowa households--or a total of 395,620 people--are "food insecure." 19.3% of Iowa's children are food insecure.
Nationwide, in 2012, 49 million Americans lived in food insecure households--33.1 million adults and 15.9 million children.
To learn more about local and national hunger issues, visit www.feedingamerica.org.
AGRM Snapshot Survey
Every year, the Association of Gospel Rescue Missions completes a snapshot survey of homelessness throughout the U.S. Read the most recent national survey here.